Reporter's Notebook: How I Find My Career Goal in News -- The News That Starts And Ends With People

Let's set the record straight: I love my job as a reporter but not every part of it. Throughout my career, I've covered breaking news from mass shootings to elections, hurricanes, and day-turn stories. Yet, none of them is as gratifying as my first story on a Vietnam veteran: https://www.wuft.org/news/2017/10/26/florida-voices-vietnam-veterans-tony-magnifico-marines-1967-to-1969/.
It was just a simple one-on-one interview, but its depth and values went beyond my imagination at the time.

Perhaps, let's put it this way: I love people. I treat everyone equally and in hope that they will open themselves to me and share their amazing life stories. They're not my vehicles to drive the news our to the public.

With the fast-paced daily news, I could barely afford enough time with my interviewees while often but justly framing their inputs to my script. Given the imperfections of our society, this type of journalism is sustainable but stands against my backbone of journalism whose spotlight should be shed on quiet, struggling and victimized lives beneath screaming headlines.

Some people consider feature and profile stories fluff news. Having established myself as a visual storyteller, I will reassure you this is the most advanced journalism in parallel with investigative journalism: telling a story that touches hearts and brings positive changes.

I patiently worked with this musician on this project started one week before Thanksgiving. A few sleepless nights and days in the hospital (you would find out why) were totally worthwhile as I'm determined to emulate my storytelling Godfathers -- Boyd Huppert and Steve Hartman.

Share your thoughts and comments after watching!


Comments

Popular Posts