Book Review: Tipping Point

I’ve always been a fan of Malcolm Gladwell, not just with his books but also his podcast “Revisionist History,” and so close to sign up for his Masterclass.
The book offers fascinating insights into how social epidemics work and their 3 rules.
As a journalist who inherits the tools and skill set to spread an idea to a contagious or viral way, I mostly correlate myself with the law of the few. These voices range from the unfairly treated to the grieving family and friends of homicide or shooting victims, for whom I serve as a connector and salesman persuading them to leak information or make cathartic revelations.
The news have got more divisive and depressing every day with its cycle of unfortunate incidents, tragedies and political bickering. Growing up in Washington state watching KOMO and KING News, I know my targeted audience and stick to my signature journalism of feature human-interest storytelling. It certainly takes more time and efforts to create an epidemic, especially with the time constraint of under 2:30 minutes per story, so the sticking factor lies within my luck to meet extraordinary characters with touching and relatable stories.
Indeed, small causes and changes can trigger major effects. A fan of Alfred Hitchcock, the Twilight Zone, I often incorporate twists in my news storytelling, starting with some normal and mundane contexts before a disruption or accident occurs and eventually ties to more dynamic social dialogues. This also becomes my advantage on hard-core news story as the characters allow me to translate difficult concepts into ideas and contexts that the majority of audience would understand.


Journalism offers rooms for creativity, where I always test my intuition with new tactics of writing featuring, filming, and editing a story to manipulate the audience’s mindset and expectation and improve their receptivity to new social changes or people who are different than them over the surface but share core values.
This is undeniably another interesting and eye-opening read of Malcolm Gladwell (nothing can still beat “Outlier” in my heart) with appealing examples of Sesame Street, Blue’s Clues, the Ya-Ya sisters, the rise and fall of the crime in New York.

Comments

Popular Posts